[HPADM] SUMMARY file systems mounted in single user mode

From: COUPRIE Kees (Kees.COUPRIE@swift.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 03:23:05 EDT

All,

Thanks to all who replied. Here's a summary of the suggestions I got.
First the responses that did not help.

* "Possibly somebody has threaded some mount commands in one of the
  /sbin/rc*.d/S* scripts."
- "No mount commands are present in scripts where they should not be.
  Besides, when booting up in single user mode, the /sbin/rc*.d/S*
  scripts are not even used."

* "Did the operators REALLY follow the instructions?"
- "Well, they claim they did, but I have not tortured them yet."

* "Perhaps there's a mount command in /etc/profile."
- "No"

* "When booting a system into single user mode, the sysinit entries
  in /etc/inittab are used. Perhaps there's a sysinit entry that
  mounts the file systems."
- "Interesting, but no. Nothing unusual in the inittabs"

Now here's the response that solved the mystery.
Received from Steve Hamilton:
* "When you boot up the system in single user mode, the /etc/mnttab
  file is not cleared like it is during a normal system boot.
  Because of this, the 'mount' command will read the existing
  /etc/mnttab file and display what it shows, which was the mount
  table from when the system was up and running before you booted
  into single user mode...

  To get 'mount' to correctly display the actual filesystems mount
  in single user mode, you will need to do:

  # mv /etc/mnttab /etc/mnttab.old
  # mount

  Now, you should see the appropriate information..."

A little investigation showed that Steve is absolutely right. We also
discovered that /etc/mnttab is not the only file not being cleared. E.g.
/etc/utmp is also not cleared, so even with the system in single user
mode, the /usr/bin/who command (after mounting /usr) even showed users
that logged in before the system was brought down.

Again, thanks for all your replies.
Kees Couprie