[HPADM] [Summary] consolidation of LVs on Oracle (raw devices)

From: Rasheed Tamton (Rasheedt.c@stc.com.sa)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 02:41:29 EDT

Thanks to all who replied to my below question. I forgot to mention that
all the existing LVs are AT PRESENT on RAW devices because of Oracle
RAC. So, at least, we need to reduce the number of raw LVs from 140+ to
20-30 level or less for making administration easy. We cannot go to file
systems because of Oracle RAC as per our DBA's. More suggestions are
welcome.

I got the replies from:
Mohan Sundaram Mohan_Sundaram@emitac.ae
Bill Hassell bill@billhassell.com
Gerardo Oliva Gerardo.Oliva@acs-inc.com
Andrew Deters adeters@arh.org
Rita Workman RWORKMAN@wvwcc.org
Leon Kazakin Leon.Kazakin@CIBC.ca

The number of LVs are created as per the requirement of Oracle and if
they agree there would not be any problem in consolidating it into less
number of LVs. But I doubt Oracle will agree for this, as they create
different LVs for different purpose. All these are raw LVs and hence I
agree with you that managing them is not easy.

  Why go raw? Just consolidate the LVs to larger sizes. Once
  you leave file systems behind, your backup strategy must
  drastically change as there are no files to backup or
  restore. And it is VERY easy to destroy a raw disk because
  tools like newfs and lvremove think there is nothing on
  the LV.
I don't think you may consolidate data from LV's
Options ? run veritas filesystem and quick i/o , then you may migrate
your database from raw devices to filesystems.
The quick i/o option for veritas is to avoid the 15-20% overhead of
using filesystems.

We have done the following on an oracle database version 7.x running on
HP 10.x
Q: I want to move a database file to another directory. What should I
do?
A: Perform the following procedure.
1. First, shutdown the instance: shutdown
2. Move the file to the new location.
3. Mount the database: startup mount
4. Notify Oracle that you've moved the file:
alter database rename file '<old path>' to '<new path>';
For example: you moved the file usr1.ora from d:\ora\database\orcl to
e:\ora\database\orcl. In this case, execute
alter database rename file 'd:\ora\database\orcl\usr1.ora' to
'e:\ora\database\orcl\usr1.ora';
5. Open the database: alter database open;
So if you mount the new file systems from the EMC and move the files you
could script the move from VA to EMC. Look up these commands in the
oracle library.
Not familiar with VA arrays. But in the past I've migrated from old
arrays to new arrays (both fibre) by doing host-based migration. I drop
one fiber adapter from the old array and then do fbackup/frestore to new
disks on the new array. I use this opportunity to first clean up vg's.
You don't mention how many vg's are involved in your lvols. But you may
want to change the settings on your vg as well, to set things up better.
Here's a url at a site where I worked on this with the help of a couple
friends. You may find it helpful:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=518
18

Now to reduce your lvol's. I've had to move things around for
performance, and have found the pvmove command very handy for moving
data from one lvol to another. Generally I map out every disk with
every lvol on them - then I determine where the most space is and would
it create an impact to move the data to that disk. So I might suggest
you think about something similar. I've used pvmove with things down,
although the manpage says you can do it live. But I'm a little more
cautious than that. So checkout man pvmove.

So for a quickie plan: Map Out Your Plan !! and Backup First..
  1. Migrate your data via host-based method
  2. Then re-arrange your lvol using pvmove
it's quite simple - you have to rebuild the DB - talk to your DBA.
create new LVs of desired size and number and use backup/restore to
migrate the DB.

Regards,
Rasheed.
                Original question: