[HPADM] Zip-utility for files > 2 GB

From: Daiminger, Helmut (HELMUT.DAIMINGER@WWK.DE)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 05:05:22 EDT

Hi!

We do a nightly Oracle database dump which creates a *.dmp file with 16 Gb
in size. Afterwars we compress it by using bzip2. This gives us excellent
results (i.e. the compressed file is only about 1.6 GB in size), but takes
extremely long (close to 4 hours).

Do you know of another compress-utility that can handle files bigger than 2
GB and is resonably fast? We could do with a worse compression rate, but we
need it to be faster (ideally around 1 hour).

I found out that compress and gzip can only handle files < 2 GB...

This is HP-UX 11.11.

Thanks,
Helmut