[HPADM] Summary : patch bundle 32-64 bit

From: Rasheed Tamton (Rasheedt.c@stc.com.sa)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 04:58:11 EDT

Hi Admins,

I got only two replies to this post which are given below: Many thanks
to Ilan Green (ilang@amdocs.com) and Kevin O'Donovan
(Kevin.O'Donovan@acs-inc.com). I did install the patch bundle without
any problem on a D class which is a development machine without any
problem. As it is not much used, I cannot be sure of any performance
issues come of this.

Rgds,
Rasheed.
------------------------------------Replies================
Shouldn't be a problem as the patches install the 64-bit or 32-bit or
both bits as needed.
Unless there are some D-Class specific patches which might be needed on
top of those - there shouldn't be any problem.
Just make sure all dependencies are there
Hi Rasheed,

I can't think of anything that would cause a problem on the D class...
the one thing that does come to mind is that the D class does not have
PCI, so any PCI patches in that bundle may not install (fileset with PCI
drivers/etc. not present?).

The 64-bit vs 32-bit thing could be suspect alright, but swinstall
should pick up on the filesets that need a 64bit environment and report
that it isn't installing them. If that does happen though the D class
would have fewer patches on it than the rp box, maybe an important patch
doesn't get installed?

Run the analysis part of the swinstall, that should pick out most if not
all problems for you straight away.

Since it's HP that supplied the bundle I'd say it might be easiest to go
back to them and request the same patch bundle for a 32-bit d-class
system, should be well covered then.

Hope that helps,
Kevin.