[HPADM] Re: disk mount and logical volume manager questions

From: Peter Unmack (peter@fish.la.asu.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 03:09:04 EDT

G'day folks

Thanks very much to the several folks who responded back and suggested
booting into single user mode and typing

extendfs -F vxfs /dev/vg00/rlvol7 to finish the job off.

Since mine is hfs (should have mentioned that in my first post) I
substituted that for vxfs, however, it came back with "character special
file missing."

This leads me to several alternative questions.

For whatever reason, my 712 box will no longer let me hit escape to get
to the boot prompt. I have tried two keyboards, and both work on a 715,
and I know they used to work on this machine. Thus, the only way I can
get a boot prompt is to switch off the drives until I get to the boot
prompt, then switch them back on / plug them in again. From what I can
tell there is no other work around for this problem?

Unfortunately, I have to use lvm since my boot disk is 4 gigs. From what
I understand / and /stand combined cannot exceed 2 gigs, but everything
else can be what ever size one wants. My question is, how can I combine
all the other logical volumes into one and just max it out to the rest of
the space on that drive so I don't have to deal with all this trouble
everytime one gets full?

I'm sorry about all these questions and hassles, but I've been playing
with hp-ux for nearly 8 years and can't say I've ever had this many
problems before (and I have a one or two others that I am yet to ask about
too).

On the bright side though, my disk drive is mounting now, although I am
not sure why!

Cheers
Peter