[HPADM] Summary: Nike Model 10 Question

From: Johnson, Craig E (Craig.E.Johnson@icn.siemens.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 16:16:51 EDT

 <<Re: [HPADM] Nike Model 10 Question>> <<Re: [HPADM] Nike Model 10
Question>> <<RE: [HPADM] Nike Model 10 Question>> <<RE: [HPADM] Nike Model
10 Question>> <<RE: [HPADM] Nike Model 10 Question>>

Thanks to all who responded. Our third party support vendor also confirmed
this with HP, when using 4.2GB drives, it only matters that they are the
same size and part number. Disk vendor is not an issue. The rebuild was
successful.

Craig

attached mail follows:

Craig-

You have to replace the defective drive with one that is at least as large
(capacity)...that's about the only rule. But we suggest using an identical
replacement as it's mirror so you don't run into problems down the road.
And, MAKE SURE YOU PULL THE BAD DRIVE, AND NOT THE GOOD ONE!!

I have A3396As (probably identical to your bad drive) for $75. Need one
overnighted? :)

Let me know if you have questions, although I'm leaving town tomorrow for a
funeral.

Best,

John Lee
HP Account Executive
Vaske Computer Solutions
Edina, MN
952-844-0054

We sell, service, support and integrate HP 3000/9000, new and old, since
1988

At 09:44 AM 4/28/04 -0700, you wrote:
> I have two old Nike Model 10' they just need to be blank formatted
>and not something pulled out of another LUN Thanks! Craig

attached mail follows:

Craig,

Some thoughts...

  I would think that you'd want to replace it with a similar disk,
because the SP controller knows about the disk parmeters ( it was bound to
the SP). I've never tried to install anything other than as was there
already..so I dont know how the LUN would react if you for example,
replaced the 4.2 GB with a 9GB or other...(maybe it would only use the #
of extents the original disk had...but I dont know)

But I cant think of a reason offhand why you cant replace it with one
that was previously used, or has data on it, or whatever...as long as it
is physically functional (because it starts the rebuild when it is popped
in....)

Dave

------------

for such purpose.
------------

                      "Johnson, Craig

                      E" To:
hpux-admin@DutchWorks.nl
                      <Craig.E.Johnson cc:

                      @icn.siemens.com Subject: [HPADM] Nike Model
10 Question

                      Sent by:

                      hpux-admin-owner

                      04/28/2004 12:44

                      PM

I have two old Nike Model 10's fully populated with 4.2GB disks. We just
had a disk failure, and I seem to recall that when you replace them you
have to match them up almost identically or they could cause the entire LUN
to fail. Or is it that they just need to be blank formatted and not
something pulled out of another LUN no longer in use? Anybody? Thanks!

Craig

attached mail follows:

In the case of the 4G disk, you nee to match model numbers as there were two
different capacities for 4G drives. If you mixed the smaller disk in the
larger ones, you could run into problems.

ryan
The information transmitted is intended solely
for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of or taking action
in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited. If you have received this email in
error please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.

attached mail follows:

if u have a failed disk then
    1) pull it out
    2) put in a disk of the same size ...regardless of what is on it

FYI: i have 2 of these units and alot of disks if you are looking for any
cheap spares
    i have 2GB, 4GB, and i think a few 9GB disks too

marc

I have two old Nike Model 10's fully populated with 4.2GB disks. We just
had a disk failure, and I seem to recall that when you replace them you have
to match them up almost identically or they could cause the entire LUN to
fail. Or is it that they just need to be blank formatted and not something
pulled out of another LUN no longer in use? Anybody? Thanks!

Craig

attached mail follows:

You should match them identically not only by size, but my manufacturer.
You will see that some are made by HP, IBM, and SEAGATE.