[HPADM] Re: SUMM hacked problem

From: Peter Unmack (peter@fish.la.asu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 12:12:50 EDT

G'day folks

The overwhelming response has been to reinstall the os and start over
which I guess is one was to force me to upgrade to 11, and then do some
research online via the hp website as to how to be more secure. The other
suggestion was to turn off a bunch of stuff too to reduce access (although
I don't really know what is safe to switch off most of the time, but will
try to chase up some folks here to get that worked out). A couple folks
suggested making a full backup to record the files should anyone wish to
follow through on chasing down the hacker. It would have been nice to be
able to figure out how they got in, but I've gotten no real suggestions on
that front. I guess there are many ways and no real way of telling
unfortunately.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the responses, thanks very much to all for
taking the time to write, it was most helpful.

Cheers
Peter