[HPADM] Re: [HPADMIN] [SUMMARY] keeping telnet session alive

From: Julius Szelagiewicz (julius@turtle.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 16:28:04 EDT

Dear Admins,
        a somewhat late summary, the original problem below. The correct
answer was given by the One and Only Inimitable Bill Hassel:
> AS far as a keepalive, I created a very simple script that sends
> a XON (DC1) character to the client every few seconds. Run it from
> /etc/profile and put it into the background (but don't use nohup).
> When the keyboard is idle, the keepalive will make the connection
> look busy. And when the user exits properly, the script is killed.

Running the script from /etc/profile didn't work for me, so I am running
it from within the application. This has the effect of keeping the radio
alive and it goes away when the application dies. The side effect is the
change in battery life - it went from 10 hours to 4 hours, but the "burn
julius in effigy" movement lost some steam ....
thanks, julius