[HPADM] Mirroring with LVM.

From: Bryan Jones (bryan.jones@maryville.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 14:55:27 EST

Hello All,

I am working on this huge project that requires us to do host based
mirroring with HPUX Mirror/UX. I am moving from one Storage Array
(8830) another Storage Array, (DMX). My steps from what I believe that
needs to happen on how I should mirror this data from one device to
another is as follows:

1. grant access to the new devices on the storage array.
2. ioscan -fnC disk to have the server recognize the new devices
presented to the host.
3. insf -e - to install all the device files for the new disks
4. pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/new_devices
5. vgextend /dev/volume_group /dev/dsk/new_devices
6. lvextend -m 1 /dev/volume_group/logical_volume
/dev/dsk/new_devices

Once the mirroring is done - then I need to do the following:

1. lvreduce -m 0 /dev/volume_group/logical_volume
/dev/dsk/old_devices
2. vgreduce /dev/volume_group /dev/dsk/old_devices

I am looking for feedback on this - I have other thoughts on how it can
be done with out all the stuff going on above as far as increasing the
volume group, and do you as well need to do a pvcreate on the new
device, since you are mirroring it?

TIA

Bryan Jones
Maryville Technologies Systems Engineer