[HPADM] hp-vue, trusted system and auditing

From: Hans Olav Gundersen (ho.gundersen@c2i.net)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 15:58:40 EST

Hi Admins!

I'm running several hp boxes with hp-ux 10.20 in trusted mode.
We are also using hp-vue as desktop enviroment.

I have read alot about the ITSEC evaluation of the hp-ux 10.20
-but vue (and cde) is excluded from this evaluation...

This is from the 10.20 Release notes:
"HP VUE uses several components to authenticate users when they log into the
system. These components are vuelogin, vuegreet, vuesession and vuelock. On
a trusted system these VUE components do use the protected password databases
to authenticate users. However, the VUE components do not support monitoring
of user accounts based on the database account restrictions. Security is
therefore not fully implemented on such a system."

so my question is: is there any 3rd party software, any scripting to do or whatever
to force the vue system to use some or all of the security functions that resides in the OS
(auditing possibilities, password/login restrictions and so on...)

Upgrading from 10.20 to 11.x is not possible, so i'm only interested in solutions that
improves the security functionality in hp-vue/hp-ux 10.20.

all answers is good answers :-)

Thank you!

Hans Olav Gundersen
Oslo, Norway