[HPADM] Kernel parameter names and suggested values

From: Thomas Northup (thomaslnorthup@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 17:06:16 EST

Admins,

We have an application that is using a lot of memory. The system is an RP5470 running HP-UX 11.0

I called application support and they emailed me back a list of their suggested kernel parameters.

Here is the email…

Dear Customer,

The following lists the parameter names and suggested values for these

parameters.

Name Suggested Value

nproc 532

max_thread_proc 256

maxfiles 4096

maxfiles_lim 4096

maxuprc 512

nfile 4096

nflocks 2048

ninode 2048

semmap 258

semmni 256

semmns 1024

semmnu 512

semume 256

maxDsiz Real + Virtual Memory

maxTsiz Real + Virtual Memory

maxSsiz 12% of (Real + Virtual Memory)

Resetting the values of these parameters requires a rebuild of HP-UX and a

system reboot. This takes the system off line for a short period of time.

Warn all users to log off first!

Regards,

Support

So I am going to go ahead and make all these changes….

For most of them I can just put in the number, but when I get to maxDsiz, maxTsiz, and maxSsiz I think I will have to put in their hex value???

Can I use a formula here? If yes what would it be?

We have 2GB of RAM and a swap partition of 2GB. So they are saying to use 4GB for the first two and 12% of 4GB for the last one. Does this exceed the max allowed???

In hex 4GB is EE6B2800 so would it be entered 0xEE6B2800??? What is the 0x for???

TIA and I summarize.

Tom