[HPADM] Survey: Outsource Unix System Admin offshore

From: SAbramson@Wabtec.com
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 10:35:37 EST

hpux-admins:

This is not a technical question. But I think that this is a good forum for
asking about this.

A major metal-mining and manufacturing company, $20 Billion gross sales,
Fortune 100 company, right here in my home town, Pittsburgh, PA, announced
this week that is in the process of outsourcing the following IT functions,
to be performed remotely, probably to a company in India, yet to be
determined:

        HP UNIX System Administration
        Oracle DBA
        Windows NT Administration

About a year ago, they outsourced the Help Desk to a company in Atlanta, GA.

Some staff will be retained to interface directly between the company and
the outsource partner, but most of 20 people (my estimate) will be released.
(Of those 20, some 5-10 are contractors.)

This is my first first-hand experience with outsourcing HP Unix System
Administrators, and, frankly, it scares me.

Is this happening throughout the US? Is it happening in UK? Is it going
well? Is it failing for any reason?

I'm interested if others have first-hand experience with this....

Interestingly, EMC Storage Administration, is NOT being outsourced. It is
not considered a good candidate for outsourcing (I'm not sure why).

        Stuart

Stuart Abramson | WABTEC Corp. | Wilmerding, PA
Off: 412/825-1434 | Cell: 412/417-1567 | email: sabramson@wabtec.com

***** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE *****
The content contained in this e-mail transmission is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named herein. If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited.