[HPADM] Disk Bottleneck Question

From: Johnson, Craig E (Craig.E.Johnson@icn.siemens.com)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 17:06:24 EST

I have an RP5470 (L3000) with an external HP JBOD device connected through
a RAID 4Si card. The JBOD device is only half populated (one side, seven
disks), and it is configured as a RAID 5 LUN through "irm".

This is used as a Clearcase development server and most of VOBS are located
on this volume. When I look at the I/O by disk using Glance, I see that
when in use, this disk is active 100% of the sampling interval, and often
the request queue is quite high (over 50). The help pages from Glance
indicate that if the activity is greater than 50% for the interval, there
may be a bottleneck, however, I disagree, I think there's nothing wrong with
a busy disk. The problem I believe is the growing request queue.

The system is running the 64-bit version of HP-UX 11i. All filesystems are
VxFS.

Is there a way to tune that RAID 4si card? Can cache or memory be added to
it to improve performance? Anything else I should be looking at?
Filesystem tuning? Thanks!

Craig Johnson
Systems Administrator/Sr. Engineer
Siemens