[HPADM] Disconnecting an external SCSI cable online

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 12:13:17 EST

Hello All,
We have an Exabye robotic tape library that has two SCSI connections to two
separate external SCSI controllers on an HP9000 Model N4000. We are having
problems with a couple of the tape drives and they want to upgrade the
firmware on the robotic. In order to do this they need to disconnect the
SCSI cables and hook up a PC to the SCSI connection. My question is --- Is
it safe to power of the robotic tape library and disconnect the SCSI cables
from the back of the tape library without shutting down the HP9000? I found
out that when they came in (working with another person in our department)
to replace the drives that they were doing this. Is this SAFE??????

Thanks,
Jim Naylor
Unix Systems Administrator
Schnuck Markets, Inc.