[HPADM] SUMMARY: Mapping application to real memory usage

From: Bodnar, George (gbodnar@ppg.com)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 11:32:06 EST

OK the short of this is the below suggestion from Daniel Copeland appears to get me close enough to what I want. The only caveat to this is that the way Glance/MWA handles shared memory is to do a simple division of the shared memory by reference count which can be incorrect if the application attaches to an object multiple times for some reason - BUT for all practical purposes is pretty close to what I want.

The nice thing is that using APP with Measureware it will report information for processes that were not active during this time interval which is what you would want - in my case all pieces of each application since some are idle. The default PROC buckets in measureware only capture a process if it was active (i.e. uses CPU)

One other caveat - this does NOT capture shared memory segments so you would need to get these seperately.

Excerpt below from Daniel's email:

I think if you set up an application definition in the /var/opt/perf/parm file like this:

application = App1
group = group_of_App1 or
user = username_of_App1

Start glance (gpm seems easier for me) again and go to the application list report and the Res Mem for this app should give you really good approximation of mem util for the app. You might have to go to choose metric and select APP_MEM_RES.