[HPADM] Partial Summary: Connecting an STK L80 to our exisiting HP - Co nnectrix - Symmetrix configuration.

From: Abramson, Stuart (SAbramson@Wabtec.com)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 14:33:36 EDT

Sue:

I'm still analyzing results, but here is summary to date:

1. EMC recommends that for all UNIX servers you seperate your tape and
disk traffic on seperate HBAs. They will not help you troubleshoot problems
on the path unless you seperate the traffic.

2. Notwithstanding that, some people put both tape and disk traffic on
the same HBA. You must have the right drivers in your kernel. There is a
performance impact, and it's not recommended for PROD only Development.

3. EMC ESN Manager will zone a tape connection just like it does a disk
connection - WWN to WWN. No problem.

4. Most tape drives have been FC-AL to date. Nobody could verify
whether the new L80 is directly FC-SW (I could look it up on the STK web
site, I guess.). If your L80 is FC-AL, then you need another switch, like a
brocade, between your Connectrix and your L80 to convert FC-SW to FC-AL.

5. If you have another brocade in front of your L80, then you don't
need one connection to the brocade for every drive. You only need one
connection for every drive from the brocade to the L80, plus one for the
robot arm. You must then calculate the number of connections from the
Connectrix to the Brocade based on throughput/concurrency. (I have some
numbers, but not right in front of me.).

I will summarize fully after I digest the response I got and verify on the
STK web site.

        Stuart

Stuart Abramson | Off: 412/825-1434 | Cell: 412/417-1567 | email:
sabramson@wabtec.com