[HPADM] Suse Question

From: Johnson, Craig E (Craig.E.Johnson@icn.siemens.com)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 15:58:25 EDT

Ok experts, I've got an interesting problem. I have two Suse Linux boxes
that have all the usual default Unix accounts (bin, lp, etc.) along with a
few application specific ones. These accounts have no password, just a "#"
in the passwd file and an "*" in the shadow file. If you try to login using
one of these accounts you are asked for a password, and access is denied,
however, if I "rsh" (remsh) from any other Unix system on my network, this
is what happens:

    # rsh linuxbox -l bin uptime
    12:09pm up 135 days....

There aren't any glaring "+" signs in /.rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv. How is
this possible? TIA and I will summarize.

Craig Johnson
Systems Administrator/Sr. Engineer
Siemens