[HPADM] SUMMARY INstalling Oracle on HP 11.0

From: Eric Hunter (ehunter@marsys.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 08:53:25 EDT

Thanks to all the fine folks who responded to my plea.

It looks like my mistake was assuming that since I was installing a 64bit
executable on a 64bit
operating system, that I could ignore 32bit OS specific variables in the
kernel config!

I had been concentrating on adjusting maxdsize_64 settings to relieve my
make "out of memory"
errors as several people had suggested. Alan Riggs suggested:

"What I have found is that the oracle installation itself, regardless of the

version, appears to be a 32-bit application. Raise the value of maxdsize
and you should be fine."

..and indeed that was it!

Of course, hpux made me raise maxusers and nprocs as well, but a reboot and
a ./runInstaller
later, I was doin my sysadmin happy dance!

Replys follow:

What I have found is that the oracle installation itself, regardless of the
version, appears to be a 32-bit application. Raise the value of maxdsize
and you should be fine.

Alan Riggs

Hi Eric,
  Not sure if you've gotten any responses on this yet. Take a look at the
semaphore and shared memory related kernel parameters. Chances are, they're
set too low. There should be some guidelines in the Oracle install guide,
but if you don't have that handy, you can go into SAM and load a
pre-configured kernel system file. When you're in the Configurable
Parameters section, go to the Actions menu and go into the Apply Tuned
Parameter Set selection. In there, you will see some choices, pick the
General OLTP/Database Server selection. You can compare the new parameters
to the existing ones before you rebuild the kernel to see what changed in
the sem and shm groups of parameters. You will probably see some significant

differences. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Chris Medaglia

Hi again Eric,

I do have 64bit Oracle on 64bi 11i. Here the values I have configured:

semmap=142
semmni=140
semmns=1000
semmnu=60
semume=64
Semmsl=2048 (I think that may be the default value)
shmmax=1073741824 (0x40000000 hex)
shmmni=512

I am running 4 instances of Oracle on the box. Not ideal, but something I
have to live with for now. I have 4gb of memory and 4gb of swap configured
on the box. I don't think I limit the amount of swap/memory the oracle
account can use (per se), but the ulimit on the account is 4194303. I
believe having ulimit set too low may cause the out of memory error, too.

Hope this helps...let me know if you want/need anything else.

joe