[HPADM] Login delay

From: Kevin (kevinjk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 08:27:54 EDT

Hello,

Our environment is mostly HP-UX boxes with some Solaris boxes still
around. Some of the SUN boxes are NIS slaves and in some buildings the HP
boxes will hang for around twenty seconds or so when logging in to the HP
from the console or remotely when they bind to particular SUN slaves. If
we force the HP box to bind to an HP slave on the same subnet there is no
longer any delay and we've also seen it where there is no delay if it
binds to particular SUN slaves on the same subnet. In other buildings
there is no delay at all when the HPs bind to the SUN machines. Any ideas
on what could cause this? Could it be related to a duplex mismatch? In
most cases we hard code the HPs to 100/FD from the prom and set the
switch/port to the same which works well. We had been having problems
with auto negotiate being unreliable. TIA.