[HPADM] who am i -R oddness

From: Justin Willoughby (jwilloug@mhc.net)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 16:00:53 EDT

I have a login script that runs the following:

USERIP1=`who am i -R | awk '{ print $6 }' | tr -d \( | tr -d \)`

I use this to find out what IP address a user is coming from. However sometimes this command does not seem to return the correct IP for which they are coming from. If the IP listed in $USERIP1 does not match the IP in a text file then a message is echo'ed when the user logs in.

My questions is has anyone seen any kind of odd behavior with "who am i -R"?

Is there any better solution to finding what IP address a user is coming from then the method I am using?

Thanks!

- Justin