[HPADM] [Summary] Help with reading 1.3 GB Optical Disk in a 2.6 GB drive

From: Tom Henning (tom@waldtsvr.ksc.nasa.gov)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 12:39:30 EDT

Well, I did receive a couple of replies offering suggestions and
comments, and one vendor offering to sell me a drive, but I
figured this one out myself. But first, Thanks to Rogerio
Coelho, Tony Bacon, and Corne' Beerse for their replies.

Okay, restatement of the problem. I was not able to read a 1.3
GB optical disk in a 2.6 GB drive, even though HP said this could
be done.

Reason for Posting: Every time I tried previously I received an
error message something to the effect that the disk could not be
read. This was a previous attempt some time back. The problem
was that I was using a 300 series machine running 9.10 for the
virtual mounting capability. This machine/OS combination could
not read the higher density format for some reason (I don't know
the reason and since the machine is now gone I really do not care
anymore).

Once I connected the 2.6 GB drives to a 715/100 running 11.11 (I
know, almost the same vintage machine but it will run 11.11) and
loaded all of the proper drives to run a MO jukebox, I could now
read, and format, 1.3 GB disks in the jukebox.

Sorry to bother all of you with the postings, will try harder
myself next time before posting.)