[HPADM] FW: Help with Reading 1.3 GB optical disks on 2.6 GB drive or vendor recommendation

From: Tom Henning (tom@waldtsvr.ksc.nasa.gov)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 08:23:40 EDT

Here's the situation:

I have about 300 1.3 GB Magneto-Optical (MO) disks in storage
containing data backups. Each disk contains a HFS filesystem and
is mountable onto the system. Each disk is unique. Corporate
has decidedthat this data should be migrated onto the DLT library
used by everyone else on the center (the data I have pre-dates
the DLT library). The old 40 GB jukeboxes I used to create all of
these disk are dead, and thereplacement I was given by another
department in unknown condition, andhave not used much, contains
2.6 GB drives.

I have not been able to get the 2.6 GB drives to mount or read
any of the 1.3 GB disks, even though I understood that they
should be able to. I forget the exact error message (last time I
tried it was more than 6 months ago), but it just comes back with
an error and quits.

So here's my help request. Either

1) help with determining how to get an 10.20 system to mount the
older media in the 2.6 GB drive.

Or

2) A vendor recommendation for a used 1.3 GB external MO drive.

As usual, thanks in advance and I'll be looking for replies. Any