[HPADM] RE: FCS & Alignment errors

From: Bill Hassell (blhconsulting@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 17:04:08 EDT

This is exactly the symptoms you would see with an
autonegotiation failure (ie, the switch or the server
has defaulted to half-duplex). You'll see very slow
transfer rates and probably will see collisions too
which means the connectrion is not full-duplex.

If you can shorten the cable to less than 25 meters,
or lengthen the cable to more than 55 meters, this
may solve the problem. Autonegotiation fails when
the LAN cable is in this range. Even though the switch
and the server are supposed to be running in full-duplex
mode, these are classic symptoms for a half-duplex
mismatch. You may just have a bad LAN card.

--
Best regards,
Bill Hassell