[HPADM] CDE login - no home directory

From: Andreas Fischer (fischer@science-computing.de)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 03:53:40 EDT

Hello,

System: HP-UX 11.00

We put all our home-directories on a central file server. The "homes" are
mounted by the bsd-amd automounter upon user login.
If network connection to the "home" server breaks, CDE does not start up
properly. The only thing you can get after login is a text-console. But no
proper CDE Window Environment (no buttons etc.,)

We do not mind about the missing /home directory because it is not
important in this case. But the users should be able to log in properly
and be able to start their applications (which do not reside in the
home-directory - neither do any configuration files).

How can I make CDE start properly although the user doesn´ t have a /home
directory?

(By the way its the same with "kde". Most other windowmanagers don´t seem
to have a problem with missing homes)

Thank you for your help

Andreas Fischer