[HPADM] SUMMARY: Monitor Socket Connection Attempts?

From: Jim Turner (JTurner@hertz.com)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 16:02:24 EDT

Thanks to all who replied (listed in chronological order):
          IlicR@stentor.ca
          Mike.Keighley@lexicon.co.uk
          "Ed" <ed1901@hotmail.com>
          IlicR@stentor.ca
          Ben Le <ble@pcc.edu>
          "Bill Hassell" <blhconsulting@mindspring.com>
          "Brett Geer" <brett.geer@dhl.com>
          "Ekstrom Christopher A" <EkstromChristopherA@JohnDeere.com>
          Dave Ritchie <deritchie@yahoo.com>
Replies as well as my original post appear below. In a nutshell, it was a
mucked-up firewall ACL that jammed traffic coming to us. We used inetd's
logging (inetd -l) to prove what we suspected all along -- we were not
receiving a connection request from the vendor.

++++++++++ IlicR@stentor.ca:

Use lsof this is free product and will provide your requirements.
Usage lsof -i:your_port_number it will show all socet connection ( port +
IP
address).
With netstat this is not possible.

Hope it helps.

++++++++++ Mike.Keighley@lexicon.co.uk:

Start the inet daemon with the "-l" option.
e.g. kill inetd, then: inetd -l

or, edit /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons to include:
export INETD_ARGS="-l"
and restart

++++++++++ "Ed" <ed1901@hotmail.com>:

In a similar previous experience it turned out that my box was running a
software firewall (ipchains) by default, blocking all or most traffic,
which I didn't know about. Check if yours is doing that too.

++++++++++ IlicR@stentor.ca:

Hmmmm , Not quite sure what you want to prove? Lsof will list all
established
connection.
It shouldn't be any problem to specify IP address ( lsof | grep
your_required_IP_addres).
I bet you what real problem is on firewall ACL is not updated properly. No
connection is made at all. How to prove "attempt" !?
At least you would be able to provide more info. It take just 1-2 minutes
download and
install.

++++++++++ Ben Le <ble@pcc.edu>:

Try the following command:
/usr/bin/last -R

++++++++++ "Bill Hassell" <blhconsulting@mindspring.com>:

You can use nettl and inetd -l to trace the connections. My guess is that
nothing is reaching
your server because your firewall is preventing the connection. It's easy
to verify this by
simply using telnet from the remote system specifying the port(s) that
will be used
in MQ Series (make sure you know all of them by number). Connection
refused
messages (without any connection records in HP-UX) is a sure sign that the

network is denying access, not HP-UX.

++++++++++ "Brett Geer" <brett.geer@dhl.com>:

best bet I'd think would be tcpdump. It's truely a handy tool

++++++++++ "Ekstrom Christopher A" <EkstromChristopherA@JohnDeere.com>:

If someone hasn't mentioned it already I would try out tcp dump, you can
get
it from the HPUX Porting and Archive center (UTAH) This will provide a
dynamic connection status which you can drig through to search for the
co/a> : Sat Apr 12 2008 - 11:02:29 EDT