[HPADM] Can a mirrored boot disk be hot-replaced

From: Garner, Jim - DIT (garnerjr@ci.richmond.va.us)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 12:37:22 EDT

We had a failed, internal disk drive in a rp5470 (L-class). It
was a mirror of the boot disk. The system kept running. An HP
engineer was dispatched with a replacement disk. He said it would
be necessary to shutdown the system and bring it up in single user
mode to vgsync the logical volumes. The vgsync took about 45
minutes. Adding in the time to shutdown and boot, the system was
down for an hour. Management wants to know why it was necessary
to take the system down. I called HP and was told, "Hot swap and
hot replace are not the same thing. You risk damaging the system
bus, crashing the operating system, or corrupting your data."

I would like to receive some opinions on this. I will summarize.

Extra info:
In a document entitled "LVM: Procedure for replacing an LVM disk
in HP-UX 10.x and 11.x" (Document ID KBAN00000347), HP describes a
procedure for replacing a mirrored root volume in which a shutdown
is done. But there is this note:

"Note: If the disk being replaced is Hot-Pluggable (or Hot-
Swappable) a reboot may not be necessary. Please inquire your
customer engineer to determine if a reboot is required."

-Jim Garner
Systems Engineer
City of Richmond, Virginia