[HPADM] Vpars

From: Jim Langston (jim.langston@walkerfirst.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 08:04:39 EST

Gurus,

I'm starting to put some things together here to get a total cost of
ownership for my infrastructure for our budget for next year. We are an all
HP shop, both Unix and NT/W2K, and I'm an true HP bigot. :) However, the
maintenance cost for each of our servers is going up each and every year,
and my boss has asked me to look at the infrastructure from ground up. IBM
came in with a solution which was a P-650 that had 4 LPARS, allowing me to
have one physical box divided up into 4 logical boxes. I didn't think that
HP had a mid-range system that did that, only the superdomes or mini
superdomes would do that. However, a good friend of mine told me about the
Vpar solution that HP has come out with. Has anyone messed with this yet?
It's very new, and would like to get some first hand info from anyone who
has used this technology. Here is a link for those of you who haven't seen
or read about it:

http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo
.pl?productNumber=T1335AC

Cheers,