[HPADM] RE: summary: OmniBack: from 2 to 1 cellmanager.

From: Beerse, Corné (c.beerse@torex-hiscom.nl)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 10:54:50 EST

I asked something direct to Thomas while trying it out myself. I like to add
some of that here too, for your info.:

> > > That will shutdown the OmniBack daemons on the Unix server, prevent
them
> > > from starting up again, and make it available to be imported into
another
> > > OmniBack cellserver.
> > >
> > > Now, on the Windows server, select "Import Client" and enter the name
of the
> > > HP-UX server. It will probably prompt for the root password. You then
will
> > > need to add it to the list of installation servers.
>
> > By adding a client, I also need to add the software distribution, Isn't
it a
> > problem if that's the same machine? Do I need to install any software?
Would
> > that overwrite the source and hence byte me in the nose/tail?
>
> The important difference is to "Import" the HP-UX installation server, not
> "Add" it. The "Import" will query the candidate system to determine what
> has already been installed. It doesn't automatically find the
installation
> services, however, so you need to go to that tab in the GUI and "Add" the
> HP-UX system. Unlike the "Client" tab, this will not attempt to install
> anything, just fill out the properties for the new Install server.

I did not think about it and just added the distribution-server (and old
cellmanager) to the new cellmanager. Yep, I used the `add new client`
option, not the import. I have the next reason to believe it should not
harm:

The installation server is an other process and uses other datasets
(software depots) than the software it installs. The software is installed
form genuine HP-UX depots (same format is used for all unix variants, at
least for storage). So the software will not overwrite itself.

And for installation the rcp and remsh tools/protocols are used not the
omniback tools/protocols. It can be an other protocol but it is definitly
not omnibacks own to avoid chicken and egg problems, and it asks for
username and password if the ~/.rhosts file for root is not set for the
backup server.

CBee

--
C. Beerse