[HPADM] User names question

From: Scott Adderson (EMP) (Scott.Adderson@eml.ericsson.se)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 07:05:31 EST

Hi Admins,

I have a question about non-standard user names, both for HP-UX and Solaris. What we're being asked for is invalid according to any information I've seen but one of the managers is pushing it so we'd like to come up with a good reason why it would be a bad idea or not:

Some of our users have numeric user names for their PC accounts. Their non-Unix manager wants to change the Unix usernames to match, e.g. 12345678. Currently we have the format xx345678. We're saying it's a bad idea but he's saying it looks like it'll work so why not?

Any experiences or strong reasons for/against much appreciated!

TIA, I will summarise.

Scott
> Scott Adderson
> Senior Engineer, Unix & CAD Support