[HPADM] Summary: no reboot after kernel compilation

From: Andreas Fischer (fischer@science-computing.de)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 05:41:44 EST

Hallo,

thanks to everyone who replied!

What I finally did:

I booted into the ISL Menu and asked the user to enter
"hpux ll /stand" at the ISL prompt.
where we found the old kernel-executable "vmlinux.prev"

after entering
"hpux /stand/vmunix.prev" the machine booted the old kernel

a very useful link (thanks to gangadharan)
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/0,,0xea1d5bd3782dd711abdc0090277a778c,00.html

to quote Dave "all fluffy now!"

regards

Andreas

> hi,
>
> ask him to start the server.while booting server will give a message
> to a press a key within 10 secs.
> Ask the user to press any key.This will go into pdc main menu.After
> enterning into pdc main menu ask user to issue the following command
> main menu>
> main menu> boot pri
> then a message will appear immd.
> do you want to interact with IPL > y,n,cancel >
> ask the user to enter y.
> it will start displaying
> ISL booting
> hard booted and it will come to ISL prompt
>

> in ISL menu issue the following command
> ISL>hpux /stand/vmunix.prev
>
> system will boot from the old kernel.Normally when sam is creating a new
> kernel old kernel will be renamed as vmunix.prev.
> after booting u can move the copy the vmunix.prev to vmunix.
>
> if u cannot find the kernel ask him to issue this command
>
> ISL> hpux ls
>
> this display contents of /stand/vmunix find the file name with vmunix.* .
> don't ask him to start with vmunix again it will go into panic.
>
> regards
>
> radhakrishnan

Andreas Fischer
science + computing ag