[HPADM] SUMMARY: Disk Subsystems

From: David R Antoch (dantoch@csc.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 08:22:27 EST

I'd like to thank those who replied (Jeff Cleverley, Craig Johnson, and
Vince Taylor) to my post looking for info on the DS2300.

Original Post:

I'm looking to get some info and your feelings regarding HP's DS2300
external disk
unit (A6490AZ: 14 Hot swap disk slots, 2 Bus Controller Cards, Dual
power supply,
racked).
I'm most familiar with HP's older RAID systems like the dual SP NIKE
10 or 20
etc.. What is the architecture of the DS2300? Is it JBOD? Does it
have or support
seperate LUNS? If I get one with 2 SP Controllers (BCC's) can I
segregate the disks
onto seperate controllers and connect each controller to a unique Host
interface? Or
is one BCC merely there for redundancy (Alternate Link....)? Also,
I've heard to
implement RAID on that DS unit, I would need a RAID 4SI interface card
 (4 port ,
A5856A) on the Host.
Any info on the DS2300 is appreciated.

The unit is indeed JBOD, however it does have the ability to split the
drives among it's 2 possible supported controllers

"The DS2300 is a JBOD device that does not support PVLINKS. It can be
configured to either be one single
14 disk LUN or multiple LUNS, or, can be run in split-bus mode so that
seven disks attach
to one bus controller and the other seven to another. "

"The DS2300 is a replacement for the SC10. It is a simple JBOD, and it
can
be split into two separate SCSI chains if required (and the second
controller is purchased). It is not suitable for an MC/ServiceGuard
configuration unless the data is mirrored from one DS2300 to a different
DS2300 (or other disk unit). It does not have the LUN concept, you
address
each disk directly (or via LVM). You can split the SCSI bus and use a
separate host to access a different SCSDI chain each. For more into,
check
out the HP web site..."

Here is the URL...

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/disk_arrays/disksystems/ds2300

"If you use one hba, then you can see all 14 disks on one bus. If you
want to use 2 hba's, you have 2 options. The first is it will let you
split the system
into 2 halves of 7 disks. This will allow you to use 2 different hosts.
You can connect
one half to one hba and the other half to the other hba. This is a good
way to mirror.
If you want to use 2 hba's and see all the disks, you have to change one
of the
controller addresses to something other than 7 and remove the
corresponding disk. The
enclosure reserves address 15 for itself. Therefore one hba is address 7,
if you want
another, you have to change that hba to address 6 and remove disk 6 from
the assembly. "