[HPADM] Disk Subsystems

From: David R Antoch (dantoch@csc.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 10:26:21 EST

Admins,

I'm looking to get some info and your feelings regarding HP's DS2300
external disk unit (A6490AZ: 14 Hot swap disk slots, 2 Bus Controller
Cards, Dual power supply, racked).

I'm most familiar with HP's older RAID systems like the dual SP NIKE
10 or 20 etc.. What is the architecture of the DS2300? Is it JBOD?
Does it have or support seperate LUNS? If I get one with 2 SP
Controllers (BCC's) can I segregate the disks onto seperate controllers
and connect each controller to a unique Host interface? Or is one BCC
merely there for redundancy (Alternate Link....)? Also, I've heard to
implement RAID on that DS unit, I would need a RAID 4SI interface card
 (4 port , A5856A) on the Host.

Any info on the DS2300 is appreciated.

Thx,
Dave