[HPADM] SUMMARY:max files in a directory

From: Jeff Cleverley (jeffc@ftc.agilent.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 18:08:11 EST

Greetings,

My thanks to Karissa Stoker, Harry C Pfeffer, Michael Lampi, Bill
Hassell, Eef Hartman, Rita Workman, Larry Sybrandt, David Lodge, and Dan
Zucker.

The original question is posted at the end. There is no limit to the
number of files allowed in a directory. There are the obvious issues
with best practices and maximum number of inodes, etc.

The problem had occured with a Veritas backup (3.4.1) and it errored out
with a "Network connection timed out" error. I knew this wasn't right
since it timed out after 17 minutes and has a 3 hour timeout value. The
other 11 file systems on the host backed up cleanly every night also.
I'm working with Veritas to find out what broke on their end.

The user cleaned up the directory and it backs up fine.

Jeff Cleverley

**********

Greetings,

I couldn't find what I wanted at the itrc or in the archives for this.

Is there a maximum supported number of files in a directory on hpux
11.00 using jfs 3.3?

I had a problem with backups and it looks like it was due to a single
directory having 136,000 + files in it. The user has since cleaned up
the directory and the backups work now. I have to try and explain what
the problem is and need to know whether it is a hpux issue or go hound
the backup software people.

Thanks,

Jeff