[HPADM] Re: ftp session debug

From: vinod kumar (vinodkumarmp@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 19:21:17 EST

Hi ,

Is there any way to figure out where or who is trying
to open FTP session from same box .

Few days back I noticed there is a ftp session alive
always . ps -ef|grep ftp shows

 ps -ef|grep ftp
root 6946 773 0 16:14:18 ? 0:00 ftpd:
<LOCAL-HOST>: connected: IDLE

It shows a connection from same host but is idle .
syslog shows every 15 mts killing this idle ftp
session ( which is normal)

This was started after we installed a new application
s/w in this box .
I tried blocking ftp access from same box through
inetd.sec . after this I don't see this idle ftp
process.
But when I looked at netstat I still see somebody is
still trying to access ftp but unable to connect .

# netstat -a |grep ftp
tcp 0 0 *.ftp *.*
             LISTEN
tcp 0 0 <HOST>.ftp <HOST>.62303
         TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 <HOST>.ftp <HOST>.62304
         TIME_WAIT
#

In the netstat o/p there is a ftp listner and 2 ftp
sessions which is Waiting .

Any idea how to find out which process is trying to do
this ftp ?

Thanks
Vinod