[HPADM] fsync vs fdatasync ..

From: Rama, Subu (srama@northropgrumman.com)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 12:00:42 EST

I am running an app on HP-UX 11.0 on a B2600 (64 bit)
with the latest quality pack (Dec 2002).

I have HP's ANSI C compiler with the latest patches.

I see a man page for fdatasync. I also see fdatasync when I do a nm libc.a

The man page says to include unistd.h for the prototype.

However, I don't see fdatasync being declared in unistd.h
Only fsync.

We are thinking of changing our current fsync calls to use fdatasync in the
app.

Can anyone comment on the relative performance difference between
using fsync vs using fdatasync as well as let me know if fdatasync is
really standard ? (Supposedly POSIX.4)

Thank you
Subu