[HPADM] SUMMARY - CD-ROM read problem + /dev/rdsk file recreatio n - HP-UX 10.20

From: Scott Adderson (EMP) (Scott.Adderson@eml.ericsson.se)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 10:34:31 EST

Thanks to:
Karissa Stoker, Philip Ford, Subu Rama, Richard Wood, Eef Hartman, Lee Kendrick and Dimitri Avgoustakis for a rapid response about the device files. The consensus was 'insf -e' which did the job just fine. mknod was also suggested but not tried, I'll give that a go on my development machine some other time.

The CD-ROM still won't mount, so I guess that it may be u/s. I've added the software remotely so it's no big issue.

Cheers!
Scott

Replies summary below:

-----
Did you try running ioscan (with no options) then an insf -e. If that
doesn't work, you can use the mksf command.
-----
You can run insf -e to get your devices back. At least it should. If the
CD still does not work, then mount on other HP and NFS mount it to this
one.
-----
Use sam to recreate the device files
-----
Not sure what to do about your dodgy CD drive, but if you run "insf -e" you
should get your drivers back.
-----
Use "mknod" with the major from rdsk/c0t?d0 (any other SCSI disk) and the minor
from the /dev/dsk entry (the major's are different between "raw" and "block",
the minor's are not. As the major IS model dependant, I cannot give you the
right one to use, but just as an example:
brw-r----- 1 bin sys 31 0x010000 Nov 4 1999 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0
crw-r----- 1 bin sys 188 0x010000 Nov 4 1999 /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0
These are on a B160 with "narrow SCSI" cd-rom at address 0,
the mkmod for these are
mknod b 31 0x010000 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0
mknod c 188 0x010000 /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0
      ^ type (b is block, c is "raw")
         ^^ major, driver number
            ^^^^^^^^ minor, device addres
Of course, your values will differ.

PS: you can use "mksf" too, but then you'll need the right combination of
options, see the man page, for this device.
-----
You could try "insf -e"

Check the man page, -e will reinstall the special files for pseudo-drivers
and existing devices. This is useful for restoring special files if they
have been accidently removed.
-----
device files :

insf(1M)

man insf
or if you're lazy : insf -H path/to/cdrom
-----