[HPADM] Strange lvm errors.

From: Ronelle Van Niekerk (rvanniek@ecgd.gov.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 07:53:18 EST

Guys,

We're getting incorrect information on SAM (saying that a lot of the
disks are unused when they're not.) and some errors when we run lvm
commands like vgdisplay.
The system is giving errors such as:
Cannot open control file "/dev/vg13/group"
and:
File table overflow

I've done a search on the archives and it says to increase the nfile
kernel parameter but our nfile parameter is a formula rather than a
value (it works out to 910 at the moment) should I just enter a value of
2000?

Will that fix the problem or is it rather an lvm thing?
Our maxvgs is set to 30 so it can't be that.

Trying to rebuild the lvmtab file just comes up with errors, eg:
vgscan: Couldn't access the list of physical volumes for volume group
"/dev/vg15"

Any help will be appreciated.

Ronelle van Niekerk
Network Infrastructure and Server Support

LogicaCMG
Network Infrastructure and Server Support
Export Credits Guarantee Department
2 Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange Square
London E14 9GS
T: +44 (0) 207 512 7189 (direct)
E: rvanniek@ecgd.gov.uk

the system manager.