[HPADM] Ultrium tape drive problem

From: Renaud, Andre (Andre.Renaud@hp.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 15:06:15 EST

We are having some problems with an Ultrium tape drive. We are using fbackup, and every now and then (roughly 1 in every 4) our backups fail. The fbackup doesn't report an error, but when we run frecover -xvN to verify the backup, it gets about half way and then spits out the following:
frecover(2114): read error from input device (I/O error)
frecover(2114): read error from input device (I/O error)
frecover(2113): unable to resync backup media

all files from then on are unrecoverable (making the backup basically worthless)

We have the following settings in the config file for fbackup:
blocksperrecord 128
checkpointfreq 128
readerprocesses 4
filesperfsm 300