[HPADM] Re: [SUMMARY] How to extend /stand

From: fcheung (fcheung@solution-soft.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 12:35:46 EST

Hi admins,

Thanks for all of you whom replied to my question.

All replies pointed to the /stand usually is the first LV
/dev/vg00/lvol1
(same on my box). and have to have contiguous physical extents on the
disk in order
to extend. Unfortunately there is not, because the contiguous physical
extents
already used by the next LV.

There are some way to work around of it from the replies:

1.do with the make_recovery_tape utility provided with Ignite-UX.
  you have the opportunity to modify the LVM information and increase
(or
 decrease) the sizes of all the logical volumes before they are created.

2. you can perform an lvchange -C n for that lvol and that will take off
the
  contiguous allocation requirements. I have done this numerous times on
my
  /tmp and /var file systems on a couple of my boxes.
(Bryan.Quinn@CooperTools.com)

3. If you have an unmirrored vg00 with more than one disk, you may be
able
   to work your way out of this by moving the volume that occurs right
   after /stand to the other disk with the pvmove command.
   #pvmove -n /dev/vg00/lvol2 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0 /dev/dsk/c2t1d0

4. a. Boot in 'lm' mode
   b. Remove the primary swap
   c. Increase /stand to what you want
   d. Recreate the primary swap
   e. Add another logical volume to account for the reduction in the
primary
      swap.

   A detailed step by step procedure is given in this thread.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xd1d6d08cc06fd511abcd0090277a778c,00.html

Thanks again,

Frank