[HPADM] SUMMARY: Booting into ignite across subnets using ISC dhcp

From: Tom Lieuallen (toml@engr.orst.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 13:11:24 EST

I asked this question to the group many moons ago and finally figured
out the solution. The HPUX installation guides talk briefly about using
bootp instead of instl_boots for providing network information to an
ignite client. However, the info is for HP's bootpd. I wanted to use
ISC's dhcpd. Here is what it took.

Here is an example of the dhcpd.conf entry:

host test.ENGR.ORST.EDU {
  hardware ethernet 00:30:6e:2b:69:2f;
  fixed-address 128.193.54.110;
  next-server 128.193.41.2;
  filename "/opt/ignite/boot/boot_lif";
  always-reply-rfc1048 on;
  option host-name "hpignite";
}

The keys here are:

next-server and filename are obvious.

always-reply-rfc1048 -- not sure it is required or not, but sure works...

option host-name -- This is required even though the hostname can be
        bogus. I'm setting all the hostnames to 'hpignite' for these
        HPs so I don't have to rewrite my dns/dhcp tools. Another option
        may be to use 'use-host-decl-names on' for the entire dhcpd.conf,
        but I don't want to do that. Maybe the FQDN is too long for the
        BOOTP reply to the HPs. I'm sticking with 8 chars or less. This
        works so I'm running with it.

If one wants to install a client, they type 'boot lan' now instead of
'boot lan install'. We no longer need ignite 'boot servers' on each
subnet.

Another change was necessary our main ignite server. I use
'instl_adm' to set some defaults in the boot file. Defaults such as
the address of the ignite server, etc. etc. More settings were required
when we had boot servers -- they needed to tell the clients the
subnetmask and gateway. Bootp clients now get the bootfile from the main
ignite server instead of a per-subnet boot server, and the bootfile info
(such as router) was overwriting the bootp info. I took the network
info out of instl_adm and it solved that problem.

I hope this helps someone. It sure made my day. :-)

Tom Lieuallen
Oregon State University