[HPADM] Netscape LDAP server

From: Paul van Westerlaak (Paul.van.Westerlaak@rivm.nl)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 10:22:07 EST

Hi Admins,

We're testing the LDAP server that comes with HP-UX (Netscape Directory
Server 6.02). No problems with installing, configuring or running, but
after a system crash the server won't start (at least not within an
reasonable amount of time).
The boot message on the console shows "FAIL" but that's a bit misleading as
the server is running and trying to restore the database. If this isn't
ready within 2 minutes the startup script ends with the FAIL message,
probably to ensure the boot process can continue without too much delay.

The release notes that came with the software state that a database
recovery after an abnormal shutdown can take as long as 40 (!) minutes,
depending on the size of the database and disk speed. As we are still in
test mode our database is minimal (about 20 users and 10 groups). I'll
admit the hardware is slow (HP9000 D330 with 9 GB FWD disks) but I can't
believe te recovery takes OVER NINETY (90) MINUTES (after that I got bored
and killed it).

I restored the complete installation (software + databases) from a back-up
tape, but as this back-up was made when the server was running, the LDAP
server went in the same "database restore" mode (killed after 70 minutes :
-)
In the end I reinstalled the software and reloaded the configuration (which
took about 10 minutes).

The question remains: are these recovery times normal or is there something
wrong with the software or our configuration?

Cheers

Paul