[HPADM] HP B132L+ Can't Boot Normally After lvextend

From: Guan, Ping (Penney) (pguan@lucent.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 06:00:35 EST

Hello,

We have an HP B132L+ workstation with HP-UX 10.20 installed. Here is what I
have done with it and the problem:

1. Extended a file system with commands lvextend and extendfs (I did not
enter into single user mode before doing this).
2. After reboot, can not startup.
3. Boot from CD-ROM, at ISL prompt, enter 700support menu, rebuild only the
bootlif.
4. Reboot the host, here is the excerpt of the output:
    /dev/vg00/lvol1: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
    /dev/vg00/lvol1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
    /dev/vg00/lvol1: No such device address
    Unable to mount /stand - please check entries in /etc/fstab
5. # vgdisplay
       vgdisplay: Volume group not activated
       vgdisplay: Can not display volume group: "/dev/vg00"
6. After run the following commands, the machine can startup and all
services seems normal
    # vgchange -a y
    # init 3

I think there should be no problem with the hard disk on this host, right? I
suspect the problem can be resolved with reinstallation, but, there are some
special configurations with the host, it will take a lot of effort to
reconfigure it, besides, usually there is no console connected with it. So,
my question is, can we recover the host to make it reboot normally without
manually interference?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Penney