[HPADM] File system with many directories

From: Stan.Pietkiewicz@statcan.ca
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 14:32:35 EST

I have a user asking about the implications of setting up a directory with
approximately 250,000 sub-directories, each with 16 files in it. The system
is an L-class, running HP-UX 11.0, with vxfs as the preferred filesystem. As
far as their usage of the structure, they will know exactly which directory
holds the files they are interested in, so sifting through a long ls output
is not an issue.

>From what I understand about vxfs, there is no theoretical limit to the
number of inodes, but what about any practical limits?

Does anyone have any experiences / insight / suggestions they could pass
on??

My rough estimate for the amount of data is about 115 gigabytes.

Thanks....

Stan Pietkiewicz
Stan.Pietkiewicz@statcan.ca
Informatics Technology Services Division - Statistics Canada
It may be statistically possible that my opinion is the same
as someone else's - but it is still my opinion!