[HPADM] SNMP-based management / OpenView

From: V. T. Mueller (V.T.Mueller@continum.net)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 08:18:22 EST

Hello,

With an increasing number of systems we face the need to change
from script-based service control to one central solution.

We had a hard time here arguing over the pros and cons of several
network (mostly SNMP) based management systems for HP-UX. At this
point I'd like to ask for your experiences.

If you're using any kind of NMS, please answer as many of the
following questions. Feel free to add your personal comments, too.

The more information you give, the more can I give back with my
summary.

TIA,
Volker

1. What kind of NMS are you using, and for how many nodes?
2. Is it HP-UX only or does it allow integration of Solaris,
   Linux, network and/or storage infrastructure?
3. Do you monitor/manage servers and networking from within one
   Software or differently?
4. If you're using OpenView, is it your belief that OpenView
   does rule out other products by the 'hp-hp integrates best'
   factor?
5. If you're not using OpenView, how well do the agents of the
   software you use integrate into HP-UX?
6. Are you using / have you tried OpenNMS and/or nagios (formerly
   known as netsaint) or any other free tool?
7. What is your service level and did the tool you use help to
   keep up to it?

Volker T. Mueller

Continum AG Tel. +49 761 4794090
Boetzinger Strasse 29a Fax. +49 761 4794099
79111 Freiburg i. Br. http://Continum.net