[HPADM] Re: Memory Problem and possible solutions.-SUMMARY-need more feedback.

From: Anil Rajapure (anil_unix1975@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 06:05:50 EST

My sincere thanks to all those replied. specially to Tripathi Ashish , Alex Vinson ,
Bill Hassell , TOTSCH,DAVID (HP-USA,ex3) , KRASTEV Zdravko , Armanini Oscar , LAVERY,MIKE (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex1) .
Most of them asked to check buffer cache, swap space.
The problem is this server have three oracle instances on it with just 2GB mem.
Now every oracle owner go on running this or that and finally system starts thrashing. This situation arises because every oracle owner says my processes/sql quries are OK. I have been asked to put one more oracle instance on this server.
Before putting that I would like to streamline things. SGA for all oracle owners would be such that everyone gets their due share. (I have asked every oracle owner to have similar init.ora as far as possible so that SGA is almost same for all.)
Buffer cache is 5 & 10 % (OK I think) Can not think of increasing it with just 2Gb mem and four oracle instances.
by tuning maxuproc and nproc I can put a tab on user processes. (This is before I add one more oracle instance)
Not to forget my request for more memory was declined by my manager. (This all is development work he says)
Memory has become so precious on this server that every bit counts that is why I am tuning ninode also. maxdsiz or it's 64 bit counterpart is 1 Gb.
By disabling swapmem_on processes will see less mem available and can not be started if enough mem is not avaible. (that is why I am tuning this) Not to forget I have enough swap space of 4 Gb. (2*ram)
Thanks again. Would welcome more replies.

Would someone explain me relationship between sga and shmmax or any other kernel parameter?.

 Alex Vinson <alexvi@ix.netcom.com> wrote: I'd also modify dbc_max_pct and dbc_min_pct to something more reasonable
than the default 50% and 5%. Since I don't know how much memory you
have I can't tell you exactly how much, but a reasonable guess would be
to make them both somewhere between 10 and 20%.

Alex

--
---
Alex Vinson