[HPADM] Automounter problem in HPUX 11.0

From: Rajdeep Sengupta (rajdeep@noida.atrenta.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 01:50:01 EST

Hi managers,

I have C3700 HPUX 11.0 workstation, configured in an NIS environment. I
have found that when I do ~<user name> it works properly and then after
some time the user home directory gets unmounted from that machine. But
even though the user home gets unmounted the directory name is still
present .

Like after the user abc gets mounted, I can access that users home by
/u/abc
But when it gets unmounted, Then normally under /u there should not be
any directory named abc as normally it has been unmounted by the system.
But in my case, sometimes I found that though the abc home is unmounted
but the an empty directory "abc" remains in /u directory.

And next time if you do ~abc then it shows no files inside /u/abc which
means practically the machine has not mounted the abc home again.

Workaround is, everytime this happens, I have to delete the directory
abc under /u and then do ~abc . By doing so I can than actually able to
mount the abc users home.

I am sure this is an automounter problem. So pls. help me if anyone of
you have a solution to this.

Thanks in advance.

-Rajdeep