[HPADM] Jukebox issues after drive replacement & firmware upgrade s:

From: Helfenbein, Henry (Henry.Helfenbein@sanmina-sci.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 12:08:20 EST

Hello Admins:

I have a colleague at a sister plant who is having issues with an HP 160ex
Magneto Optical Disk Jukebox attached to a SUN E4000. They interface each
other through K-PAR software & hardware(ODSS SCSI Controller).

The problem started when an optical disk drive failed & required
replacement. HP replaced both drives, & they upgraded O/D drive firmware
from 1.09 to 1.13 & controller firmware from 1.48 to 1.50. There was no
reboot done after install & the 3rd party software application (Frontline
STAR1000) was able to communicate with the jukebox to/through the SUN box.
An optical disk media recovery was done after the drive/controller
replacements & the SUN box rebooted afterwards. Since the reboot, there are
errors on the SUN & application displaying "IOCTL - Bad Exchange Descriptor"
when using slots 1-16. When using slots 17-32, the error message is "IOCTL -
Invalid Argument". BTW, this jukebox is only using 32 slots, not the full 64
available. All was O.K. before the reboot, the application cannot access the
optical drives since the drive/controller swap & firmware upgrades.

I know this is a SUN, but there are many HP-UX admins working in
heterogeneous environments out there... my hope is that someone's got an
idea or advise to share on this strange problem...

Thanks in advance for your input,
Henry Helfenbein
UNIX Systems Administrator
SANMINA-SCI, Phoenix