[HPADM] SUMMARY:Will 'mc(1m)' command work with the Surestore 2/20, 4/40, etc series tape autoloader robotics?

From: Whittemore, Dale (dale.whittemore@lmco.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 14:45:33 EDT

Thanks to Richard Goodwin, Lee Kendrick, Tim Pickel, Harry Pfeffer, Rick
Greene, and last but not least, Bill Hassell, for responding. The answer
was a definitive "Yes, it will work." Tim clued me in on 'uma' which I
knew nothing about since we do not use Omniback. Which brings me to another
question.
I checked out "uma" on the ITRC Knowledge Base and one of the articles said
that you could use 'uma' even without Omniback being installed. The article
led me to believe that you can obtain just the 'uma' utility from somewhere.
Does anyone know where and is it kosher to do so?

It has been a year and a half convincing the powers to be that we needed to
get rid of our "I" boxes, (yes I did say "I" boxes), and get into the 21st
Century. Although I cannot complain about the reliability of the "I" boxes.
Never had a major failure of any component in the 8+ years of use of both
systems. Order goes in Wednesday hopefully.

Thanks again.

Dale A. Whittemore
Computer Systems Analyst, Senior
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
"When using a spear, "Catch and Release" isn't really an option"

--- Original Question ---

Subject asks it all. We are upgrading our current systems and have a need
to manipulate tapes in the unit using a ksh script. I am asking HP to quote
the 2/40 autochanger (two DLT's drives, 40 slots) and need to know if the
robotics will respond to the 'mc(1m)' command before I commit to buying one.
We will be getting a rp5430 running 11.0.