[HPADM] NFS mounting MC/ServiceGuarded directories (outside of an NFS pac kage).

From: Ayson, Alison {Info~Palo Alto} (ALISON.AYSON@ROCHE.COM)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 12:55:38 EDT

Has anyone NFS mounted a filesystem that is part of an MC/SG package to the
secondary node of the cluster? I'm talking about basic NFS..not using an
NFS HA script.

Here's what's happening at our site:

We have an Oracle database that is running on our primary node. This
database is part of an MC/SG package. All the filesystems associated with
this package are mounted on the primary node (obviously). One of the
filesystems included in this package holds the application data (NOT oracle
data). It fails over with the Oracle filesystems because it is dependent
upon the Oracle database. The application team will be doing a huge data
migration (of applicaton data). They have noticed high CPU's on the primary
node during the data migration. They are proposing that we NFS mount the
application data directories to the secondary node so that they can use the
secondary node's CPU instead of the primary nodes. Am I making sense???

Here's an example:

Primary node's MC/SG volumes:

/db01/app/oracle (oracle filesystem)
/db01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7 (oracle binaries)
/db02/oracle/ocpap (oracle database files)
/opt/oclin/data (application data)
/opt/oclin/prod/40 (application binaries)

The bottom two filesystems are the one's being requested to be NFS mounted
on the secondary node.

Obviously there are problems with failover if you forget to umount the two
filesystems from the secondary node. Are they any other huge "gotchas"
with NFS mounted a MC/SG filesystem? It just doesn't seem like a good thing
to do...but I'm failry new to MC/SG so maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Is there a good way to NFS mount a MC/SG filesystem to the other node in the
cluster (without taking it out of the package and adding it to an NFS
package)? Is anyone doing this now?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll summarize.

Alison Ayson
Roche Bioscience
Palo Alto, CA (hi erwin)