[HPADM] Killing Appln. runaway process

From: Joe Crawford (abjcrawford@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 15:43:09 EDT

Team:
We are running 11.0 on Nclass with 6 processors. We
are frequently having runaway processes which occupy
high CPU. We decided to put a script(using top) which
would capture the top processes and monitor it for 15
minutes and if they constantly occupy more than 90%
then we would kill it. Now when we test this
script(using self created runaways) on a 3CPU N class
box, if I start 6 runaway processes it only occupies
50% of each CPU. The problem is my development has
Nclass, 6CPUs and testing has Nclass 3 CPUs and
production has Nclass 6CPUs. Now the testing team is
not able to identify the runaway 'coz it never gets to
90% (6 processes on 3 CPUs). What would be the
solution to this. How do I convince them to run this?
I know that it not a good idea to automate the killing
but we are only killing specific user processes and we
have taken care in ther script to do so. How does
these 6 runaway processes behave on a 3CPU box vs 6CPU
box? Please explain.

Thanks
Joe B.